Pedestrians have the right of way
Pedestrians have the right of way at pedestrian crossovers, drivers and cyclists must stop behind the yield line and wait until the pedestrian completely crosses the road before proceeding. All road users must obey pedestrian crossover rules; laws are in effect around-the-clock.
It is important that drivers, cyclists and pedestrians each know their role when approaching a pedestrian crossover.
Responsibilities of Drivers
- Be prepared to stop for pedestrians
- Stop behind the yield line
- Make eye contact so pedestrian sees you
- Wait until pedestrian completely crosses road before proceeding
Responsibilities of Pedestrians
- Indicate intention to cross
- Wait for traffic to stop
- Make eye contact to ensure driver sees you
Responsibilities of Cyclists
- When riding with traffic, follow rules for drivers
- When crossing, follow rules for pedestrians; dismount and walk your bike across
Fines and Penalties
- Drivers and cyclists may face a fine in the range of $150-$500 – drivers may also face 3 demerit points.