Practice Proper Hand Hygiene
Learn how to wash your hands or use hand sanitizer (PDF)
Clean your hands frequently. Either:
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 15-20 seconds, or;
- Use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol content in a community setting (e.g. schools).1 In healthcare settings, use a minimum of 70% alcohol content.2
Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Cover your Coughs and Sneezes
Learn how to cover your coughs and sneezes (PDF)
- Cough into your sleeve or elbow.
- Sneeze into a tissue then promptly throw the tissue into the garbage or sneeze into your sleeve.
Always wash your hands after coughing or sneezing.
Clean and Disinfect High-Touch Areas
Learn how to clean and disinfect in public settings (PDF)
Clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces and shared spaces more often and when visibly dirty.
High-touch surfaces include:
- Elevator buttons
- Light switches
- Toilet handles
- Hand rails
- Touch screen surfaces and keypads
- Remote controls
Commonly used cleaners and disinfectants are effective against COVID-19 or you can make your own with bleach (PDF).