Physical activity is good for health at all ages yet only 22% of Canadian adults achieve the recommended amount of 150 minutes per week and 9% of children & youth achieve the recommended 60 minutes per day according to the Canadian Guidelines.2,3
Active Transportation can be part of the solution!
Benefits of Using Active Transportation
- Reduced risk of several chronic diseases
- Improved fitness
- Healthier body weight
- Positive mental health
- Reduced stress
- Improved productivity at school and work
- Reduced motor vehicle-related injuries and deaths
- Improved air quality
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduced spending on gas and parking
- Improved social connections
Active & Safe Routes to School (ASRTS)
ASRTS is a community partnership across Elgin, Oxford and Middlesex Counties and the cities of London and St. Thomas. They work together to encourage children and families to choose active transportation.
School Travel Planning (STP) is their primary program that encourages active transportation to and from school by developing an action plan to build upon strengths and work to remove concerns around the school.