Driving in Busy School Zones
Roadways around schools often fill up with cars, as well as children walking and biking to and from school. Children can be unpredictable and need you to take the time to keep all children safe on our roads and focus on your driving.
- Reduce your speed
- Look for children standing on the side of the road, curbs, medians as well as intersections
- Predict that children may cross mid-block
- Make eye contact with the children
- Do not talk or text when driving
- Stop for all school buses with activated red overhead lights and the stop arm is out
- Never pass vehicles in a school zone
- Obey the crossing guard
- Take away any distractions in the car
- Be ready to stop at all times
Do your part to enhance safety in and around school zones by encouraging kids and teens to use active transportation to get to and from school. For more information on the local Active and Safe Routes to School committee visit: https://www.healthunit.com/active-safe-school-routes.
Last modified on: August 25, 2017