Tobacco Cessation Community of Practice
The Middlesex-London Tobacco Cessation Community of Practice (CoP) is a group of professionals who work in the area of tobacco cessation (e.g. health units, hospitals, community health agencies, etc.). To Join the CoP, please email TobaccoCessationCoP@mlhu.on.ca.
What are the benefits?
- Access to information and resources related to tobacco cessation
- Membership that includes individuals who work in a variety of diverse settings
- Networking and sharing
Who can join?
Anyone who has an interest in or works in the area of tobacco cessation in Middlesex-London can join the community of practice. Current membership includes staff from:
- Public Health Units
- Family Health Teams
- Community Health Agencies
What is a Community of Practice?1,2
A “Community of Practice” (CoP) is a group of individuals brought together by a common passion or interest for what they do. CoPs engage in a variety of activities:
- Sharing information i.e. experiences, best practices, knowledge, and resources
- Problem solving
- Builds supportive relationships between individuals who work in diverse practice settings.
In Middlesex-London, the purpose of the Tobacco Cessation Community of Practice is to improve access to comprehensive cessation programs for those living within Middlesex-London by:
- Building capacity among members to offer tobacco cessation services and programs
- Working to remove gaps in local cessation services and programs
- Building supportive relationships across member organizations
- Knowledge exchange
- Meeting twice per year (March / April and September/ October)
- Ongoing updates
Date of creation: May 2, 2014
Last modified on: October 20, 2023
1Koo, D., McCammon-Tripp, L. Stich, C., & Steibelt, E. (2011). The development of the Central West Tobacco Control Area Network’s system of local tobacco cessation communities of practice. Toronto, Canada: Program Training and Consultation Centre, LEARN Project