Workplace Health - Policy Development
What is a policy? A policy is a guideline that defines values or beliefs and supports certain steps, procedures and behaviours to guide actions that address them. Developing policies is part of the process of creating a healthier workplace.
The creation of healthy workplace policies that look at the physical environment and the "culture" of the workplace will improve the health of employees and the workplace in general.
Developing policies is part of the process of creating a healthier workplace.
- make healthy choices easier
- make unhealthy choices more difficult
- provide equal access in the workplace
Policies created for your workplace should,
- Reflect the unique needs of your workplace.
- Outline the steps to be taken when applying the policy.
- be clearly communicated to your employees when created.
Developing Healthy Workplace Policies
Take a look at the Health at Work 4 All! program manual section on Developing Healthy Workplace Policies (PDF 24KB). Here you will find out:
- what a healthy workplace policy is
- the reason for policies in your workplace
- the parts of a good policy
- how to create a policy
- how to introduce a new policy in your workplace
- where to access more information about policy development
Samples are included
Samples of policies that you may want to consider for your workplace are included for your convenience. Feel free to use the templates and add or delete from them as you see fit for your workplace. The samples are provided for guidance only.
Individual Healthy Workplace Policy Samples
- Breast Feeding Friendly Workplace Policy (PDF 12KB)
- Emergency Preparedness (at work) Policy (PDF 7KB)
- Fragrance Free Environment Policy (PDF 20KB)
- Healthy Workplace Policy (PDF 9KB)
- Hours of Work and Associated Overtime Policy (PDF 13KB)
- Infection Control Policy (PDF 12KB)
- No Smoking Policy (PDF 11KB)
- Personal Injury Policy (PDF 12KB)
- Physical Activity at Work Policy (PDF 13KB)
- Promoting Healthy Food Choices at Company Events and Meetings Policy (PDF 23KB)
- Reproductive Health Policy (PDF 8KB)
- Sick Leave Policy (PDF 12KB)
- Smoke-Free Environment (Sample # 2 - for Health Care Facilities) (PDF 22 KB)
- Smoke Free Workplace Policy (PDF 11KB)
- Smoking Cessation Policy (PDF 13KB)
- Substance Misuse Policy (PDF 8KB)
- Sun/UV Safety Policy (PDF 15KB)
Last modified on: August 13, 2014
- Healthy Workplace Policy Samples (PDF 327 KB)