Watch your child’s behaviour for:
- Changes in sleep (unusual waking up at night or sleeping more during the day)
- Changes in cry (crying more or differently, not easily comforted)
- Changes in eating (eating or drinking less, or refusing)
- Changes in activity (no energy or interest for play, lethargic)
- Changes in mood (clingy, whiny)
- Watch your child’s physical symptoms, such as having a fever, a rash, or difficulty breathing.
Newborns (Birth to 2 weeks)
Call Your Doctor when your baby is:
- Having less than 4 wet diapers in 24 hours with infants and no urine for 8 hours in older kids
- Is breastfeeding less than 8 times in 24 hours or is refusing to feed
- Is having stool that is blackish/green after day 4 or 5 and/or it contains blood, pus, or mucous
- Is having trouble swallowing breast milk1
- Has gray-blue colouring around the mouth, lips or tongue when feeding or crying
- Umbilical cord stump looks infected, such as having red skin around the base, especially if the red area gets bigger and/or has pus, blood or foul-smelling discharge from the cord stump itself
- Has yellow skin or the whites of the eyes look yellow (jaundice)
- Has a fever and is pale or flushed looking
- Vomits repeatedly or has projectile (forceful) vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Has an inflamed or swollen eye or has discharge from the eye
- Is coughing and/or whose breathing is noisy, such as grunting, hoarse sounding, or wheezy
- Has purple patches on the skin or another type of rash
- Has sunken eyes or a sunken soft spot on baby’s head (fontanelle) or area is bulging out
- Is more quiet than usual, sleeping through typical feeding times or is limp 2
To speak with a Public Health Nurse from the Middlesex-London Health Unit, please call 519-663-5317.
- Monday to Friday
- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Telephone questions after regular business hours
Call Telehealth Ontario to speak with a Registered Nurse at 1-866-797-0000; or TTY: 1-866-797-0007.
- Free, confidential service you can call to get health advice or information
- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Available in English or French