Carbon monoxide (CO) is called “The Silent Killer” because the people it hurts cannot see it, smell it or taste it. Carbon Monoxide is an invisible gas that can poison, and even kill you. Carbon monoxide alarms can protect you and your family from this deadly threat.
If your CO alarm sounds, get out of your home immediately and call 911 from a safe place.1
Carbon Monoxide Alarms:
- Install CO alarms where they can be easily heard, outside of each sleeping area and on every level of the home.
- When installing a CO alarm, always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Test CO alarms at least once a month and replace alarms according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home and check it regularly to make sure the battery is working.
- Do not heat your home with a gas stove.
- Check and clean the fireplace, chimney and flue every year.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow during and after a snowstorm.
- Never use a barbecue, charcoal grill or hibachi in the home.
- Never use a gas powered generator in the home or basement.
More information about carbon monoxide can be found at: www.london.ca/residents/Fire-department.
Date of creation: January 31, 2013
Last modified on: April 7, 2017