Food Safety Laws
See below for the provincial laws and municipal by-laws that apply to food safety.
The Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA)
The Health Protection and Promotion Act (R.S.O. 1990, c. H.7) is a law in Ontario that gives local health departments the duty to carry out inspections in restaurants and other food premises.1 The Act sets out the broad terms for inspections and the powers of Public Health Inspectors.
The Ontario Food Premises Regulation
The Ontario Food Premises Regulation (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 562) is a provincial law that sets out the minimum standards that restaurants and other food premises in Ontario must follow.2 These regulations are made under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, are more specific, and use scientific research when they are made.
The Ontario Recreational Camps Regulation
The Ontario Recreational Camps Regulation (R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 568) is a provincial law that sets out the minimum standards that Recreational Camps must follow.3 This law includes food safety, water, and operation requirements.
In the City of London and in Middlesex County local food safety by-laws have been created.
These by-laws say a food premises must:
- Post the most recent DineSafe inspection summary sign (green, yellow or red) on-site in a visible place.
- Make sure one certified food handler, who is supervising staff, is on-site when the food premises is open or operating. For more information on how to become food handler certified, visit the Food Handler Certification Program.
Where / how can I read these by-laws?
The following by-laws can be viewed online:
- City of London - By-law No. PH-16 (PDF 123KB)
- Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc - By-law No. 6-11 (PDF 21KB)
Each of the following municipalities, townships or villages in Middlesex County have similar by-laws. Contact the correct office for a copy of the by-law you want to view.
- Municipality of Middlesex Centre - By-law No. 2011-014
- Municipality of North Middlesex - By-law No. 9 of 2011
- Municipality of Southwest Middlesex - By-law No. 2011/011
- Municipality of Thames Centre - By-law No. 6-2011
- Township of Adelaide Metcalfe - By-law No. 25-2011
- Township of Lucan Biddulph - By-law No. 07-2011
- Village of Newbury - By-law No. 111-2011
Last modified on: August 23, 2017